Thursday, February 11, 2010

The life of a mom

Disclaimer: In no way do I think owning a dog compares to the love and care for a child, but this is the closest thing I have right now, so enjoy the story of my life!

Today Lucy went to doggy daycare.
I know, I normally make fun of people that do that too.
We got the idea from some dear friends of ours (Chuck and Bobbie) who said it was the best $20 they ever spent. Between the weather and our crazy work schedules lately, the idea festered in my mind. And the fact that I pass one on my way to work every day. So on Wednesday, I stopped after work. Got the low down, and decided to try it because Mike has been out of town and I have been working 10 hour days.
Here is where the story gets fun!
This morning, we woke up, did our normal breakfast/morning routine and then we were off. 20 minutes in traffic and we arrive, my stomach starts to turn. I'm thinking... "will Lucy think this is a good thing?, will she get along with the other dogs?, is she going to be too cold? (I know).....
So we go in, another dog is checking in too (side note: apparently this is a very popular thing, almost 50 dogs a day), the manager comes in, greets me, then scoops Lucy up in his arms and whisks her away. The tension in my body starts to intensify, "will she have flash backs of the ER?, does she understand I am doing this because I love her?" A few minutes later they come tell me I can view her in the yard, so I go back to the glass door to calm my fears. Wrong. She's in a small area with her tail between her legs. She looks like a lost rat. I hand over the paperwork and head out the door, I think I might vomit. My hands are shaking and a huge knot appears in my throat. I pull out of the drive way, and tell myself I just have to make it 8 hours, she just has to make it 8 hours. Then we can forget this whole thing.
Thankful I was extremely busy at work and the morning flew by. Lunch time comes and I can't resist but to call and see how she's doing.... okay she's fine, not dead, not hurt, even playing a little. Five o'clock comes and I can't get out the door fast enough, a five minute drive feels like eternity, I pull in the driveway, finally this day is over, I walk to the door and take a peak. Lucy is playing, wagging her tail and even the leader of the small dog pack. While, at times I still don't know how well she liked it, I would say it was an overall success. Now, if only mom could overcome her anxiety, well be in good shape.
Hope you got a good laugh, thanks for sharing life!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

This is so cute! So will Lucy be going every day? fun stuff!

Jenny Benny said...

Pet parenting can be tough stuff! You made me laugh but only because I'd feel the same way if I took the boys somewhere.