Sunday, July 3, 2011

Supernatural Motherhood


With a week under my belt, I have to admit that the postpartum phase of pregnancy has proven to be difficult. Between recovery on my body, being anemic, breastfeeding and lack of sleep I feel worn out! Last night was especially hard and had all of us in tears (he was gassy and didn't end up falling asleep until 4am) As I woke up this morning, feeling the emotional pains of no sleep, I was forced to turn my focus upward. And it dawned on my in the shower, that motherhood thrives on the supernatural. It's impossible to do this alone.
In just a few days, Mike will be returning to work and it will be just me and Anderson. It's easy to start to feel fearful about what lies ahead and the days that seem to stretch on forever, but I need to remember that I'm not doing this alone.

Col 3:23-24 says ''Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving".

I'm sure there have been instances in your life where you thought the work you were doing was not being noticed. Your boss or superior wasn't around and the though crossed your mind, "why am I doing this?" This verse reminds me that even when know one is watching or noticing my efforts, Jesus is so proud of me. He wants to pour out his blessings on me for the good works I am doing for my son. Anderson can't say thank you, but I know that Jesus is.

In Nehemiah 8 it says "the JOY of the Lord is my STRENGTH". I remember how much joy I receive from the sacrifice Jesus made for me, before I even knew him. He has filled my life with abundance, with grace and mercy and I praise God that he is with me. He renews my strength and I am reminded that I am fulfilling a huge purpose. One that was designed just for me. He has given me his grace so that I can wake up every morning full of peace.

If you are in your season of parenthood, I encourage you to draw closer to the Ultimate Father for your strength. He is faithful!

1 comment:

joye said...

Amanda, I am SO proud of you! From your pregnancy, to Anderson's birth, to your outlook on motherhood. I imagine God smiling down and saying, "well done, my good and faithful servant".

I cannot wait to see y'all and love on Anderson!

Love you!